Friday, 22 February 2013

Join Me! Not Literally.

And by "Join Me", I do not mean "Do as I am doing", but refer you merely to Danny Wallace's book, entitled "Join Me". In my efforts to read 10 books this month (it's going quite well now, thanks for asking) Join Me struck a chord, in the same way that pizzas strike a chord when I'm hungry or the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion strike a chord when I'm in the mood for sex music.

It struck a chord because like Danny Wallace does in this book, like Dave Gorman does in his Googlewhack adventure, like Louis Theroux persists in tracking down religious nutjobs, like many of the characters I have read about in recent books, and, of course, like Jesus, I have been given a challenge (or rather have given myself a challenge) and, despite the difficulties and doubts, I have heroically/am heriocally overcoming them.

Yesterday, Thursday 21st February, I read for 9 hours. And today for another 5. And I will make damn sure that I will complete this challenge, even if it means being anti-social and getting arse cramp. Thankfully, I've still managed to achieve other successful criterion in the last couple of days despite my recent buttock-numbing-loner-life:
I've booked a meeting with a Volunteering Agency
I've recorded a song (which I will hopefully put on Soundcloud when it's properly edited)
And I've bought a new suit. (Not relevant to my 12 Challenges, but it does look nice)
I've bought my Mum presents for her Birthday (Again, not relevant, but an achievement nonetheless as she can be very difficult to buy for).

In his book, (I'll try not to ruin it for I imagine you'll all go out and buy it now) he demonstrates the innate goodness in so many people and that inspired me not simply to reach each of my targets, but to want to reach my targets. Especially the ones regarding volunteering and raising money for charity.

So now I'm almost through 8 books, with about 5 days to go. I can smell victory. And the washing-up I haven't done. But the victory smells sweet and I will hold on to that smell/thought over the next week and go on from there.

Finally, I will make sure that through these gruelling and trying times I will do as Join Me encourages; I will be nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment