I visited the Build Charity in Norwich yesterday evening (you know, the one I told you about...) and loved it.
The charity holds a social club every Wednesday for adults with learning difficulties. They get the opportunity to meet other people of all ages, and do an amazing array of activities. Last night they had a disco, a snooker table, board games and some arts and crafts, to name a few things. Within about 1 minute I was greeted by a number of lovely people and within about 5 minutes I realised just how much money they need to survive.
The main man/ the big dog, Roy, was telling me that they need about a quarter of a million pounds every year to run. They've had to increase prices on the door and next year, they'll have to find a new building to use as theirs is being sold. What's worse is that they have had ALL of their funding cut and have lost 2 out of 8 people, due to forced redundancies. I just wish I was a secret millionaire.
Here's their website: http://www.buildnorwich.org.uk/.
It really is a heart-warming and sincere charity, with the sole objective to help those who are less fortunate than ourselves. The other volunteers there were so genuine and, as I've found throughout my life, the people with disabilities (of all description) were unassuming, welcoming and friendly. I met one chap called Craig who, as soon as I walked in to room, he wanted to shake my hand. It just reminded me of the innate good-nature that we sometimes lose from the stresses and rigours of life and how, if we ignore all the crap, it's actually much simpler and rewarding to be nice to people.
I also came to easy conclusion that this is the charity that I want to raise money for. It's a personal charity for me as my sister has Downs Syndrome, and I know just how important these networks are to people like her who would often otherwise have little opportunity to socialise with others.
The paradox for me is that it is sort of my duty to record the number of hours volunteered, having made one of my challenges to volunteer for 20 hours this year, and yet when I achieve it I don't wish for it to be a relief nor do I expect a sense of pride. These people need more than just 20 hours of help and once I reach it I am sure that I will find it very hard to stop.
Please watch out for a charity website that I am soon going to have to create. I'll be asking for you money very soon! It's Red Nose Day tomorrow. Perhaps I can raise some money to get me on my way to raising the £1,000 that I set out to raise. My total so far is: £0.
Only £1,000 to go. And (at least) another 19 hours of volunteering.
Nice work Matt. It's true, volunteering can be hugely rewarding and you may find yourself doing more than 20 hours :)
ReplyDeleteCheers Mike. Thanks for your support! Looking forward to your donations! I must do something to earn them now though... hmm...
Delete