Thursday, 4 April 2013

The Work of Holiday

With such an ambitious/stupid challenge, a two-week end-of-term holiday cannot be wasted doing enjoyable things such as lie-ins or spending days on computer games. Or at least not every day. Time has to be spent efficiently and, I think, it has been:


  • I have now successfully enrolled on the Italian for Beginners course at UEA.
  • I have a better idea of what I want to include in my novel, other than 'some words'. 
  • I have jogged. 
  • And, finally and probably most importantly, the Three Peaks Challenge has had some proper good organisation.
I still don't want to publish the 3,000 words I've written so far as I'm not sure if I'm totally happy with them. But I've now set myself a task of writing 2,000 words every week, which would give me a short novel's worth of words within 5 months. The 3 Peaks will be happening on the 23rd August. Mike and I had a practice 5-6 mile walk yesterday followed by a couple of pints in the pub. An extra hurdle that I hadn't considered was the finance needed to buy fuel, food and accommodation. So I need to do some fundraising.

I've done pretty much everything I wanted to do this half term already. Plus I've been down to London for Scott's Birthday, had an amazing night away for our 1 year wedding anniversary and... we've been to Nandos (we know how to live). The longer this challenge goes on, the more adamant I am that if time is used efficiently, we are all capable of achieving.

Now all I need to do is go to a couple of museums. And think of a fundraising idea.

And, of course, all the other crap.

Any suggestions?!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Matt - your blog made me smile, see you on Saturday! being a special needs teacher in London I've also been doing all the things I miss doing when I'm working...been to three museums, visited family, had a dishwasher installed, and did some paintings so far so good! been avoiding doing some school work which I must do tomorrow. Am very interested in your novel, some UEA writing course people are coming on sat, and I'm also into writing although am more of a prose poetry type!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you've had a productive and enjoyable holiday. The unprofessional side of me asks that you don't ruin it by doing work! I look forward to Saturday. You can tell me all about teaching in a Special Needs School. I'm raising money for a special needs charity at the moment so perhaps you could give me some fundraising tips. And some tips on how to write! See you in a week.

    ReplyDelete