Saturday, 27 April 2013

Run Then Climb

Could I be the next Mo Farah? No. 



For some reason I thought I should do the Three Peaks Challenge in training for the 10km run. Either I was so unsure of my ability to run (based on the fact that in my Year 10 Sports Day I lost the 1500m to about 20 other boys) or I was so confident in my ability to climb three mountains in one day (based on almost no evidence whatsoever).

Today I've decided that that was just plain silly.

Firstly, doing the Three Peaks, in one day, is probably much harder and has a lower completion rate than a 10km run. If you struggle in the 10km you often have the option of walking significant distances. The Three Peaks Challenge however has a completion time. Secondly, I live in Norfolk. I may be wrong but Norfolk might be that flattest place EVER. As such, it's pretty hard to train for mountain walking without having to get fit anyway by doing things such as...running.

So I would like to declare that, in fact, despite all the waffle that you may or may not have read in previous entries, that I will complete the 10km run BEFORE the Three Peaks Challenge. You heard it here first.

This morning I had an almost enjoyable jog round some nearby marshlands. I even saw some signets. I then went into town and bought some running shoes. Not trainers. None of that generic rubbish. Running shoes. Furthermore, I also signed myself up to the Norwich Park Run, which I will complete next Saturday. This is a 5km weekly event. They happen across the country. You get given a bar-code and you can track progress online each week. And all I hope for is that I don't come last. Actually sod it. I don't mind coming last. As long as I complete it, with my dignity, self-belief and underwear intact.

Perhaps you can find a park run near you. Have a look at their website:
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/norwich/

Remember I'm doing this not only to show off, reduce my risk of heart disease, and get out of the house when there's washing-up to be done, but to support an exceptionally worthwhile charity.

So please have a look at Build's website (http://www.buildcharity.co.uk/) and my charity page (http://www.everyclick.com/buildnorwich) whilst I go to the pub and potentially make bad decisions.

Thanks


2 comments:

  1. Matt,

    Parkrun is really good, i've got loads of friends who do it, I think some of them set up the Norwich one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty cool. Perhaps you could have a word with them and ask them to check up on me. I'll be the one crawling round.

      Delete