Friday, 18 January 2013

Revelation about a Resolution (Seriously, I don't know how I'm going to keep up these fantastic titles)


OK. Teachers have it quite easy. A third snow day has meant I now have a 5 day weekend. We work bloody hard (most of us) but come the holidays, weekends, and snow days I count my blessings. If I was not a teacher I may not have had the time today to, for instance, watch Lord of the Rings, do a mini workout, and reward myself with a few beers. I have also written a list. A lovely list, figuring out how many ‘Free Days’ I have this year. And, if you let me, I intend to share this knowledge with you.

By free day (I can’t be bothered with the quotation marks now) I mean either a weekend or holiday day. And for non-teachers out there; I don’t mean to rub it in your face just how much time we have off. I urge anyone to teach teenagers who don’t want to be in school, who hate everything, last thing on a Friday, Maths. But (he says having another swig of a Bud whilst you’re probably still at work, tired and depressed) I found out that in fact, despite my instinct, February is actually a pretty reasonable month to get my read-ten-books-in-a-month challenge completed.

Please refer to the table below to follow my next few sentences.

August has by far the most amount of free days (of 31) but that is also the time I intend to do the three-peaks challenge as well as, probably, cram in some museums, volunteering and maybe even go away with my wife on holiday before she enjoys/endures/suffers becoming a Newly Qualified Teacher in September. April is the second best on the surface but, in reality, that is when we intend to go away for our 1 year Anniversary. December is next, which is leaving it a bit late, even for me, not to mention it’ll be December when I will probably cram in knitting a jumper, learning Italian, finally eat some horrible, horrible fruit and of course… do Christmas. In fourth place comes May, with 14 free days and fifth comes February with 13.

I would like to rule out May for the time being and have it as a back-up if February fails me. I also think it will prove important to complete at least one of my challenges by March so that I, and everyone else for that matter, actually believe(s) that I can do this.

My book list has changed from the 6th as I have had a few recommendations from others. Plus I wanted to read the Hobbit. I would still love to hear other suggestions. For this challenge to be of any worth I think it’s important that the average page count of each books is well over 200. Bring on Challenge #10.

Thanks, in advance, for your support, encouragement and admiration.

Table Ordering Preferable Months To Accomplish Challenge Number 10 a.k.a The Mental Book Challenge (to some, perhaps reading 10 books in one month, whilst having a full-time job, sounds easy. To whom I say 'Fuck you'.


Month Amount of Free Days Order from best to worst
February 13 5
March 12 7
April 18 2
May 14 4
June 11 10
July 13 5
August 31 1
September 12 7
October 12 7
November 10 11
December 16 3

No comments:

Post a Comment